Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Use watercolor pencils and liners to create !

I just LOVE to use the Faber-Castell's Colour Grip watercolor pencils. As you might have seen on my blog, I use them in almost every project. To color an image, or to just give it a hint of color etc. 

The Faber Castell PITT artist pens are also very useful. I don't think there is one project on my whole blog that I haven't used it on. I use the black and brown ones most, but also other colors. They are permanent, so it won't smear when you use water on your project. 

In this tutorial a step-by-step about coloring with the watercolor pencils and adding depth with the liners.

****
This is the finished card:

****
Step by step:  
I stamped this image with a solvent ink, to make sure it won’t smear when using water to color it.
I always start coloring with the lighter color (here I used FC542), which is a very light blue.
Blend the color with a waterbrush. 
NOTE: Keep some white in the image, to add interest and depth to the image.
 
  
Color with a darker blue now (I used FC566), just touches of it in the shadowy parts of the flower.
Blend the color with a waterbrush. Again, keep some white in the image… 

Now for the darkest blue; repeat the same steps as with the previous colors. You only need to add a little color, mostly on the lines and shadowy parts. 
 

Do the same with the greens for the leaves. I used FC672 first, which is a beautiful olive green!

Also add a darker green FC634 and yellow green FC047 to the leaves.
 
  
Color the centre of the flower with yellow-green (FC047).
DONE with the coloring.

 Use your marker to add some darker lines, mostly the bottom of the image to add depth and shadow.  I also made the stem a little longer.

Stamp the image on a piece of masking paper, cut it out, and put it over the stamped image.

Stamp over this mask, I used a script stamp. 
Doodle with a black liner, and color the outer edge of it (same colors that you’ve used in previous steps).



 That's it, easy isn't it? 

****
PRODUCTS USED: 
Faber-Castell's Colour Grip watercolor pencils 
(The numbers I mention in the tutorial are the last 3 digits of the longer number) 
Faber Castell PITT artist pens
Script stamp - Paper Artsy 
Flower stamp - Studio Light

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Ellie and a great Tutorial.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A super tutorial Ellie, your card looks beautiful.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, YOU make it look easy... Yes, you've made me want to give it a try! I still don't have much patience with cutting masks so perfectly as you do though!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Een geweldig mooie kaart.
    Groet Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zeer mooie stempel die je prachtig hebt gekleurd. En zeer mooi afgewerkt met tekst en randje!!
    Groetjes, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Een berichtje achterlaten maakt me blij, dankjewel!

Leaving a comment makes me happy, thanks!